Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Year In Review: Movies of 2009

As I look back at the movies I saw in 2009, it turns out I saw way more movies sober than I did wasted. Strange but true. So I had a look at the Wikipedia list of movies released in 2009 (which is by no means complete... these are pretty much the movies you'll likely be considering renting at one point or another) and thought I'd throw up a quick review of each of the movies from that list that I saw with a 2009 release date and include either a thumbs up or a thumbs down... that way, you can compare my choices to yours and realize just how culturally challenged I truly am. Okay....... GO!


The Unborn - interesting horror. low budget feel from big budget producers (up)










Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - I just love the Underworld saga so this gets a pass (up)










Taken - Stark. Straightforward. Awesome. (up)











Push - Way better than I expected. Entertaining. (up)











Fanboys - So late in it's release it's barely relevant. Not terrible. (up/down)











Friday the 13th - Terrible remake. Perfect opportunity wasted. (down)











The International - BORING. (down)











Watchmen - Long. Not thrilled the first viewing. Loved it the second. (up)











The Last House on the Left - Unnecessary. (down)











Knowing - Nick Cage. What was I thinking? Still... watchable. (up/down)











Monsters vs. Aliens - Awesome. Most jokes were for an older audience. Good stuff. (up)










Fast & Furious - What can I say? I love this movie (and the first one). In fact, I'm going to downloa.... I mean buy both right now and watch them back to back! (up)









Observe and Report - Meh. Funny stuff. Didn't care. Never finished it. (up/down)










Crank: High Voltage - Thought these movies were serious... which makes them suck. Once I "got it" it was pretty damn entertaining. (up)










X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Great comic book movie. Different than the comics. So what. (up)










Star Trek - Possibly the best movie of the year. Pure entertainment. No need to be a Trekkie. (up)










Terminator Salvation - Another wasted opportunity. Should have been monumental. Could have done without. (down)










Drag Me to Hell - Excellent horror. Not many movies like this one these days. (up)










Up - Pixar. No need to say more. (up)











The Hangover - Pretty funny. Never finished it. (up)











Land of the Lost - Loved it as a kid so the adult jokes about it were great for me. Not a great movie, but I enjoyed it. (up)










Away We Go - Very nice little indie shebang. I really enjoyed it. (up)











Moon - Good sci-fi. It laid everything on the table so there was no mystery... and it was still worth watching. (up)










Year One - Fluff. (up/down)











Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Lighten up, people. This was a movie based on cartoons and I thought it was highly entertaining. If you criticise this movie because it wasn't more than it was, you should stick to watching Schindler's List... (up)








Public Enemies - Creative looking. Kind of just Ye Olde Tyme Heat starring Johnny Depp. Good movie... didn't do much for me. (up/down)










Blood: The Last Vampire - The 30 minute anime this was based on was awesome. This movie sucked. Turned it off. (down)










Funny People - Not very funny. Bland and long. Good movie. Don't go out of your way, though. (up/down)










Thirst - Excellent Korean vampire film. (up)











G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Quite possibly the worst film ever... not as bad as Daredevil, but close. (down)










A Perfect Getaway - Not bad. Not bad at all. (up)











District 9 - Good low budget sci-fi. Not as good as everybody said, though... (up)










Inglourious Basterds - Well made film. tried to watch it twice now. Best sleep of my life. (probably up)













Halloween II - I want my $12 back. (down)











Pandorum

- Best surprise sci-fi thriller of the year. (up)











Surrogates - Not bad. Not terrific. (up)












Paranormal Activity - Are you serious? (down)











Zombieland - Tied with Star Trek for best of 2009. Very entertaining. (up)










2012 - Meh. Fluff. (up)










The Road - Book was good didn't do it for me... movie was the same. (up/down)

No comments:

Post a Comment